Images to Blog Posts
I am just playing around with writing some sort of “techy” blog, trying to focus on a couple of my favourite things in the world, namely linux and emacs, so I thought I would do the best productive thing in the world and just start to type.
I have set up this blog in a certain way using a static web site generator called Hugo, but more on that later down the road.
For now I want to just focus on describing what I am tinkering around with at the moment regarding emacs, as yes, I am always tinkering, like a good ‘ol emacs user. Yes I am old, but more on that later down the road…
I am writing this post in org mode and am trying to figure out how to insert an image, of course the first point of call would be org-download, I have tried this package a few times in the past but never quite got off the ground. I understand the concept and would love to be able to drag and drop an image straight into an org file.
This of course can be accomplished using org-download but for publishing my blog it doesn’t quite cut the mustard. Hugo uses org files natively and rather than defining a [[file: type org link it omits the file reference and forward slash starts a reference to the org-hugo-base-dir which would be where my static image files reside.
I had a bit of a hunt around and although I could define which directory the image would be dumped when draggging the file from the file explorer I would probably need to change this for each new post and even then I would need to remove the file: from the link reference.
So I found a simple method:
- In emacs dired the directory I want to drag the image
- Drag the image, the file is dropped nicely
- Use my favourite dired command at the moment 0 w to get the full path of the file name
- yank the filename that is on the clipboard into the blog org, “M-d” the start of the path up to the Hugo base directory
- Wrap the link in double brackets
Although I said simple, the list of steps looks less simple but as part of the emacs workflow and my emacs muscle memory kicking in I think this provides at present a decent solution.
Here is an image of me using the technique so there!:
It took me about 10 seconds!, not too shabby
Next step, I might look to a good spellchecker, flycheck, aspell, hunspell and all that!